Legacy of Ministry

Brewer United Methodist has been named the Mississippi Annual Conference "Outstanding Rural Church" twice.

While we are proud of that, we're more proud that our congregation has helped

seven members discern and pursue a call into ordained ministry.  

Early History

Some time before 1903, Center Grove Methodist Church was built across the street from where we worship today. Methodists worshipped there until 1921, when land across the road was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Bill Butler. The new building church was constructed entirely by the community and church members. Lumber was hauled from Evans Sawmill in the Evergreen Community for the new church. Church members formed a wagon train to make the overnight trip to bring the lumber to Brewer. The community used the means that they had available to them to fund this new construction. Some gave seed cotton and members planted and harvested a cotton patch just off of what is now CR 765, using the proceeds to fund the project. Women and children hired out to pick cotton to pay for paint and supplies. The church also sponsored a political rally and operated a lemonade stand to raise money. Church members borrowed the balance from the bank of Tupelo ($284.52).

Over the years, as the church grew, the church built an addition for Sunday School rooms (1950's). Improvements like central air and heat, a paved parking lot, and a steeple were added in subsequent years. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, another large addition was built, adding a new fellowship hall, kitchen, and Sunday school rooms. When construction was completed, the project was pain in full.  Some credit for this goes to the determination of Rev. Wilmer Stokes, who would take up the offering, count it, and pass the plates again until there was enough!

Recent History to the present

We broke ground on our new sanctuary in late 2007 and the first service was held there on October 12, 2008. Phase II included converting our old Fellowship Hall into Sunday school classrooms and the construction of a new Fellowship Hall and extra classrooms and storage, which we completed in 2012. In keeping with the example of those who have gone before us, our congregation used the resources available to us to raise the funds for our new building.  In addition to other fundraising efforts and generous donations, we cooked and sold a meal to the community every Friday night for four years. 


Now that our building project is completed and paid for, we are turning our attention and our efforts even more fully to serving our world and our local community.  In July 2015, we will send 13 people to Nicaragua to participate in our church's first international mission trip.  All of this funding for the trip has come from fish fries, a chili cookoff, and the generous support of our community.  We look forward to seeing how God will use us as we seek to follow and serve.